Wednesday, November 1, 2017

Illuminating Hillside

This is my last Four In Art blog post.
The Four In Art group will close it's doors at the end of the year.
It's time to move onto other project and adventures. 
Four In Art has been a wonderful group to be part of 
to explore and develop new ideas with quilting.
I wish all the member of Four In Art all the best 
with their creative ventures in the future.
When one door closes another one opens.
One of my new adventures is designing fabric & quilts for 
Paintbrush Studios.
My first collection will be available in the early spring.
There are a total of 28 fabrics in it.
I can't wait to share more about this new adventure 
as we get closer to it's release date. 


This quarter's Four In Art theme is... 
Illumination.



For this quilt I used.... 
burlap
linen
quilting cotton
upholstery fabric
and....
FOIL.

I thought mixing up the textures would be advantageous.
I immediately started to slice and dice the 
fabric & foil without taking any initial photos.
OOPS!
Here's a sampling of my fabric after it was cut it up.   



I used glue and pins to secure the hills to the black background.



Here's what it looks like just before I did a little top stitching
with mono fillament. 



The quilt sandwich is ready for quilting. 
Yes, those silver hills are made of aluminum foil. 
I wanted to show how the hills were illuminating in the night sky and 
thought that they should be reflective. 
I looked around everywhere for my silver fabric and
couldn't find it, so...foil was the substitute medium.

I've been using a lot of foil with an applique method I heard about from
Elizabeth at Occasionalpiece-Quilt
Since I already had foil on my work table 
it wasn't hard to incorporate it into the project. 



Then I used GLOW IN THE DARK thread for quilting. 



Illuminating Hillside, Simone Gautier Bradford 2017


Here's a few views of the glow in the dark thread.

So photographing glow in the dark thread isn't that easy.
The thread needs to sit out in the sun for a good 5-10 minutes 
to activate the photosensitive thread. 
Then.......I run like mad with the mini quilt into the 
darkest room in the house, which for me is the laundry room.
Then I take the pictures with my camera while 
I can't even see anything through the lens. 



I raw edge finished the quilt. 
The entire quilt has rough burlap edges that are fraying. 
I figured using non-traditional binding would work since 
burlap and foil aren't traditional quilt mediums anyways. 


Here's a view of the backside. 


Outside at sunset.

And that's a wrap.



You can view other fabulous Four In Art projects below.

Betty Ayershttps://www.flickr.com/photos/toot2
Catherine Chisholmhttp://www.knottedcotton.com
Elizabeth Eastmondhttp://www.opquilt.com
Janine Greenhttp://www.rainbowhare.com
Nancy Myershttp://www.patchworkbreeze.blogspot.com
Rachel Rileyhttp://www.rachel-thelifeofriley.blogspot.com




6 comments:

  1. This is a fab combination of textures illuminated by the foil hilltops and, although I'm often not keen on raw edges, I think they are ideal here and the edging is perfect. As for the glow in the dark thread - amazing! I love how you've managed to extend the theme of illumination even into the dark :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Throughout Four in Art I've always relied on you to do something really inventive - you've done it again, and the result is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is the most fun quilt! When I saw the picture on IG I thought for sure you were binding with the foil. The glow in the dark thread is brilliant. Congrats on the Paintbrush Studios deal and thanks so much for being a part of this little group!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your use of different types of materials is lovely, such texture. That bit of shiny foil and the quilting in the dark sky evokes illumination.The back is as wonderful as the front. Congratulations on your new gig! I look forward to seeing your fabric lines in shops!

    ReplyDelete
  5. And that's a wrap! You are awesome. I love all the mixed media, the glowy, illuminaty sections of your quilt--it really shows the theme of illumination in a fun and funky way. I have enjoyed having you be a part of this group, as I think it helped you get your sea legs in the quilt world. Onward!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Now I get the foil - and it had to be easier to work with than many of the silver fabrics I've seen!! I love everything about this - the variety of fabrics, the dimension and most especially the glow-in-the-dark thread (since my one and only use of it, years ago, didn't work). Am so excited for your partnering with Paint Brush Studios and will look forward to your first line -- congratulations! Keep creating!!

    ReplyDelete