Monday, October 27, 2014

Just like graphic design but with fabric

I've been working on a quilt by Jaybird Quilts 

called Science Fair.


When I saw this pattern at Road to California I knew I had to try it out because it's 
Just Like Graphic Design, But With Fabric. I've been collecting the black and white prints for a few months and was happy to find a project they could call home. 
Love the hexie edge. 
         
My younger kids like the watermelon pinks and greens together. I've realized that even with my graphic design experience color is still a challenge. For this quilt I originally started out with pink and orange for my solid colors. I loved how the pinks bled into the orange colors in a stack on my worktable, but soon realized the quilt was looking more like Halloween (with the black and orange) than I wanted it to. So a quick color swap of green for orange and the quilt was off the chopping block.

Now the quilt is ready to more artistry. I have some ideas for quilting some fun diagonals on it. Until all the ideas come together the quilt top will sit and wait it's turn on the dream machine. 

On another note, I am pulling out my hair right now! I am used to having TOTAL DESIGN CONTROL when I use Illustrator or InDesign. With this blog I'm operating at about 20%. I just want to click and drag EVERYTHING into it's proper place. We shall see how long this torture lasts before this quiltalicious adventure moves somewhere else!!!!!

 The hexies actually join together!

1 comment:

  1. This is looking great. I saw it in the pink/orange phase and I liked that too, but you have impeccable taste on this sort of stuff. I like this color combo as well. Yep--no dragging on any blog program, not even Wordpress (which I use).

    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete